Join us on Zoom (www.liminalventura.org/MiamiMovie) this Saturday, February 26th at 7:00pm to discuss the movie, One Night in Miami!
Didn’t have a chance to watch it yet? Don’t have Amazon Prime? We’ve got you covered. We’ll have a watch party, Friday, February 25th at 7:00pm over Zoom using the same link.
But, I bet even if you didn’t watch the movie you’ll enjoy the discussion, so give it a try! Also, this film is rated R and is probably not suitable for young ones.
Here are a few questions to consider while you’re watching the movie:
- Which of the four main characters (Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, Sam Cooke and Malcolm X) did you learn the most about? Who were you most familiar with going into it?
- What were the motivations and goals for each character? How did their actions reflect those goals?
- How is this movie applicable to issues going on today? In what ways has the world changed or stayed the same since these events?
- How do you see these characters having to negotiate their lives in the face of racism?
- Why was Islam, as a religion and group, so appealing to people who felt like the Civil Rights Movement wasn’t going anywhere or getting enough done?
- What was one thing that stuck with you from the movie?